Uber and Lyft Car Accidents
Ride-sharing services such as Uber and Lyft are rapidly growing in popularity and are incredibly convenient for quick and easy commutes in cities. However, when an Uber or Lyft car accident occurs, there can be concerns and confusion over liability. It’s important to note that just because it isn’t a taxi service, doesn’t mean you are on your own if you are involved in an accident; you still have legal rights. An Uber or Lyft Personal Injury Lawyer can handle your case with their unparalleled experience and knowledge during this stressful time in your life, to bring you optimal compensation.
Ridesharing accidents can create a confusing situation regarding who’s at fault and who’s responsible for your damages. An Uber and Lyft Car Accident Personal Injury Attorney can help navigate the liability confusion and recover the damages and compensation you rightfully deserve.
St Petersburg Personal Injury Attorneys McQuaid & Douglas are recognized by their peers, courts and the Florida community as premier lawyers in Personal Injury Law. They are partners at Battaglia Ross Dicus & McQuaid, P.A. which has been providing exceptional legal assistance to the Tampa Bay area for 60 years. Battaglia Ross Dicus & McQuaid, P.A. is ranked by US News and World Reports as a Tier 1 Law firm. If you need an Uber and Lyft Car Accident Lawyer, then use our free consultation service to get started on fixing the damage that you’ve suffered.
Uber and Lyft Car Accident Laws in Florida
If you’ve been injured as a passenger in an Uber and Lyft Car Accident, then the rideshare insurance policy is there to provide coverage for passengers. There are two scenarios which typically play out: the Uber or Lyft driver is not the at fault driver or the Uber or Lyft driver is the at fault driver. The good news for the passenger is that in either scenario, there is insurance coverage for the passengers of up to $1,000,000.00.
When the Uber or Lyft driver is not the at fault driver in an accident, there will be $1,000,000.00 in coverage provided by the Uber or Lyft insurance policy. In this scenario, the Uber or Lyft insurance acts as uninsured or underinsured insurance coverage when the at fault driver’s bodily injury insurance coverage is not sufficient to compensate you for your injuries and damages.
When the Uber or Lyft driver is the at fault driver, there will be $1,000,000.00 in coverage for your injuries and damages. In the rare circumstance that this limit is not sufficient, then the passenger’s own underinsured or uninsured motorist coverage could apply.
In Florida, there was a helpful law change in May 2017 when Florida Governor Rick Scott signed ‘The Uber/Lyft Law’. This legislation now means that Uber drivers and other similar “transportation network companies” in Florida are obliged to meet insurance requirements:
- $50,000 for death and bodily injury per person
- $100,000 for death and bodily injury per accident
- $25,000 for property damage
In addition to this, the law requires Uber, Lyft, and other ride-sharing services to provide background checks on all drivers, which includes their criminal and driving records.
What to do following an Uber and Lyft Car Accident?
Whether you were injured as an Uber or Lyft passenger or driver it is important to contact an attorney as soon as possible, once medical attention has been received. An Uber or Lyft Personal Injury Lawyer will handle all matters, starting with speaking to Uber or Lyft’s insurance adjusters. It is also important to:
- Get to safety and seek medical assistance if needed. Your health is always the number one priority.
- Call law enforcement, if you don’t need medical attention first.
- Gather critical information, such as the other driver’s insurance details and take your photos.
- Collect witness reports yourself. (Often witnesses will inform the police of what they saw, but this can be left out of the Police report later)
- Don’t refuse medical attention. Evidence of medical injuries can be crucial in your compensation claims.
What could you be entitled to?
Anyone injured in a rideshare accident is likely to be able to claim for personal injuries, lost wages, psychological distress, past and future medical costs, pain and suffering and more. We are experienced in leveraging these damages to optimize your claim. As stated above Uber has a $1 million coverage limit, which will cover all common rideshare accidents.
Why hire an Uber and Lyft Car Accident Attorney?
Legal matters for Uber and Lyft accidents are complex. You could be tackling daunting insurance companies and their experienced lawyers. These claims can be extremely challenging to take on, as you also attempt to understand Uber and Lyft’s insurance policies. It is highly advised against taking on a personal injury claim alone.
Here’s why the assistance of an Uber or Lyft Car Accident Attorney is crucial for a successful outcome:
- We know the damages you’ve suffered but may have missed and will thoroughly factor it into your claim.
- We ensure evidence is preserved correctly. The evidence tends to be lost in a matter of days or even hours; we will work to make sure it is secured.
- We know which evidence will support your case. Under Florida law, this is crucial, as recovering compensation is only possible if it is established that another person’s legal negligence caused the accident.
- Insurance companies and rideshare companies will exploit the stress you’re experiencing and your lack of knowledge when they attempt to settle with you. They will do their best to ensure that they are paying you as little as possible. Our experience and reputation negates these tactics so we can get you the best results.
- An attorney can get to work straight away, without the huge mental distractions you’ll likely have following the incident. Acting soon will give you the upper hand.
- The longer you wait without an attorney, the more leverage the insurance companies gain to devalue your claim.
- Vastly greater compensation results can come from the work of an auto accident lawyer.
- We’ll be your advocate throughout the entire process and effectively handle all the legal work and procedures to produce an optimal outcome.
Hiring an attorney helps alleviate the pressure and stress placed on you after an accident. We will help you remain focused on your recovery and getting back on your feet. You won’t receive any stressful phone calls from the insurance companies and you can relax knowing that you’re in safe hands.
With Personal Injury Attorneys McQuaid & Douglas, you will receive exceptional attorney support from the moment you contact us until the compensation is in your bank account.
5858 Central Ave suite a, St Petersburg, FL (727) 381-2300
Sean McQuaid and Jonathon Douglas were voted best personal injury attorneys in Saint Petersburg, Florida for 2019.
Personal Injury Attorney Near Me
We represent clients throughout Southwest Florida