Most people who ride motorcycles understand the importance of safe, defensive riding. But no matter how cautious you are on your bike, you still face the risk of accidents caused by negligent motorists. If you’ve been hurt by a careless or reckless driver, you deserve financial compensation for your injuries. Turn to a trusted Riverview motorcycle accident lawyer for the help you need.
At Personal Injury Attorneys McQuaid & Douglas, our firm has fought to protect the rights and interests of injured Floridians for more than 60 years. In that time, we’ve recovered more than $145 million in compensation for our clients. At our Riverview personal injury law firm, clients are more than just a case file. We work hard to help you through all aspects of your recovery, including finding medical providers if you are struggling.
Contact us for a free case evaluation with an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer in Riverview. Our firm does not charge any fees upfront to begin work on your case. And you don’t pay unless we win for you.
Do You Have a Motorcycle Accident Claim?
If you were injured by someone else’s carelessness or recklessness, it’s possible that you have a motorcycle accident claim. Examples of negligence include drivers running a red light or stop sign, tailgating, speeding, cutting in front of you on the highway without signaling, or making a left turn in front of your bike. The bottom line is: If you suffered injuries in the crash, you should speak with a motorcycle accident attorney in Riverview as soon as possible. The insurance companies will be working on your claim immediately, and so should you.
Why Are Motorcycle Accidents More Complicated?
Motorcycle accident cases often prove more complicated than average auto accident claims for several reasons, including:
- Motorcycle riders often suffer serious injuries in crashes. This means that a rider will need greater financial compensation for those injuries. It can also mean that a rider will require treatment for injuries while negotiating a settlement or bringing the claim to trial. Any compensation will need to include money for the rider’s ongoing and future care.
- At-fault motorists sometimes lack sufficient liability insurance coverage to compensate an injured rider. When this occurs, the rider might turn to his or her own uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.
- Insurance companies try to use stereotypes and biases against motorcycle riders to pin the blame for the crash on them. At-fault drivers may try to avoid liability for motorcycle accidents by claiming that the rider was speeding or weaving through traffic right before the crash. When at-fault parties and insurance companies rely on misconceptions about motorcycle riders as unsafe or reckless motorists, a thorough investigation is necessary to recover evidence that proves you don’t share fault for the accident.
Benefits of Hiring a Riverview Motorcycle Accident Lawyer to Handle Your Claim
You don’t have to deal with aggressive insurance companies on your own after a crash. A Riverview motorcycle accident lawyer can help by:
- Walking you through your legal rights and advising you of what to expect at every stage of your case
- Investigating the crash to secure critical evidence for your case
- Working with accident reconstruction and medical experts to build a more persuasive argument for your right to full compensation
- Filing your insurance claims and handling negotiations with adjusters for a fair and full motorcycle accident settlement
- Preparing from the outset for your case to go to court, if that proves necessary
How Is Fault Determined After a Motorcycle Crash in Riverview?
Personal Injury Attorneys McQuaid & Douglas will review a broad range of evidence to determine how your motorcycle crash occurred and identify the party or parties at fault. Examples of evidence that we use include:
- Police accident reports
- Accident scene photos
- Vehicle damage/repair reports
- Eyewitness statements
- Surveillance/traffic camera footage
- Dashcam or helmet cam footage
- Expert analysis of the crash scene
In determining fault for a motorcycle crash, it is important to understand Florida’s comparative negligence rule. Under this rule, an injured victim may be found partially at fault for the accident and his or her injuries. If this is the case, the victim’s total compensation will be reduced by his or her percentage of fault. In other words, if you were 15% responsible for a crash and the maximum compensation is $100,000, your compensation amount would be reduced by $15,000.
What Compensation Can Be Recovered After a Motorcycle Wreck?
If you were injured in a motorcycle wreck that was caused by someone else, you might be entitled to compensation for expenses and losses that you incurred. This includes:
- Medical bills related to the crash
- Lost wages and income from missed work
- Lost future earnings and employment benefits if returning to work is impossible
- Physical pain and emotional trauma and distress
- Lost quality of life due to disfigurement, scarring, or disabilities
If your loved one was killed in a motorcycle accident, you may be entitled to financial compensation through a wrongful death claim.
Statute of Limitations on Motorcycle Accident Lawsuits in Florida
Florida’s statute of limitations gives victims four years from the date of the crash to file a motorcycle accident lawsuit. If a person files a lawsuit after the statute of limitations expires, the court will have grounds to permanently dismiss the case. It is important to speak with a Riverview motorcycle accident lawyer as soon as possible after a crash. Although you technically have four years to file a lawsuit, there is much legal work that needs to be done right away to protect your rights.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Riverview Motorcycle Accident Lawyer?
Personal Injury Attorneys McQuaid & Douglas can handle your claim on a contingency-fee basis. This means that your Riverview motorcycle accident attorney is paid with a percentage of the recovery obtained in a settlement or at trial, usually 33 percent of the total. A contingency-fee arrangement means that you pay nothing to hire a lawyer after you’ve been injured in a motorcycle crash. And you won’t owe any money unless and until we recover payment for you.
Trusted Motorcycle Accident Attorneys Serving Crash Victims in Riverview and Surrounding Areas
If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle wreck in the Tampa Bay area, turn to Personal Injury Attorneys McQuaid & Douglas today for a free, no-obligation consultation. You can learn more about how our trusted motorcycle accident attorneys have helped clients in Riverview, Apollo Breach, Sun City Center, Brandon, and surrounding communities pursue the financial recovery they need. Every rider hurt in a motorcycle crash caused by another driver’s carelessness deserves experienced, trustworthy legal representation. We’re here to provide it.