Massive commercial trucks pose a significant danger to motorists in smaller vehicles such as cars and motorcycles. When a semi-truck slams into a smaller vehicle (or even worse a pedestrian), the results can be severe if not fatal injuries. If you were injured in such a collision, an experienced Riverview truck accident lawyer can help you seek accountability and fair compensation for the losses you’ve suffered.
At Personal Injury Attorneys McQuaid & Douglas, our respected legal team has recovered more than $145 million for accident victims across the Tampa Bay area. We offer free case evaluations, where we’ll take the time to understand your concerns and provide clear, straightforward legal advice. Our compassionate, results-focused Riverview truck accident attorneys are ready to help you move forward.
When Do You Need a Lawyer After a Truck Accident in Riverview?
If you were injured in a wreck in Riverview, you should speak to an experienced truck accident lawyer as soon as possible. The sooner you speak to a lawyer about your case, the more likely it is that your attorney can secure critical evidence before it is lost or destroyed. You’ll also give your attorney more time to build a strong, persuasive case on your behalf.
Do not wait to get the legal advice you need. Contact the dedicated truck accident lawyers at Personal Injury Attorneys McQuaid & Douglas now for a free review of your case.
Why Truck Accident Cases Are So Complicated
Truck accident claims are usually much more complex than other types of injury claims for a few different reasons, including:
- Truck accidents tend to cause much more serious injuries because the size and weight of 18-wheelers mean that they impact other vehicles with more force.
- Truck accidents often injure more people because a large truck can impact multiple vehicles in a single wreck.
- More parties could be liable in a truck accident. Multiple companies and entities are responsible for a truck’s safety and functionality, and their negligence or recklessness may have contributed to the accident.
- More evidence, such as driver records and maintenance logs, must be reviewed.
- Trucking companies have complex business structures and insurance policies, which require careful analysis to identify what compensation may be available.
Benefits of Working with a Riverview Truck Accident Lawyer
Given the complexities of truck accident cases, it’s important to have a knowledgeable and experienced truck accident attorney on your side to help you navigate the claims process and pursue the maximum compensation available. A Riverview truck accident lawyer can help you in multiple ways. For example:
- An experienced investigator can help you recover critical pieces of evidence needed to prove fault for the crash that caused your injuries.
- Knowledgeable legal counsel can advise you of your rights and walk you through every step of the claims process.
- Your attorney can help you with the many challenges that arise during your recovery, such as finding the medical treatment you need for your injuries.
- An advocate can file your legal claim with the at-fault parties’ insurance companies and negotiate aggressively for the full truck accident settlement you need.
- If necessary, your lawyer can take your claim to trial to demand justice if the at-fault party will not agree to a fair settlement.
When you hire a seasoned truck accident lawyer in Riverview, you’ll have the freedom to focus on your physical and emotional recovery while your lawyer pursues accountability on your behalf.
Who Can Be at Fault for a Truck Crash?
Examples of parties that could be held at fault for a truck crash include:
- The truck driver
- The trucking company, which could be liable for the truck driver’s negligence or recklessness if it employed the driver or for its own negligence in causing an accident
- The truck’s owner (if not the truck driver or trucking company), which could be liable if deferred maintenance caused the accident
- The maintenance company, which may have failed to identify a defective part or system in the truck
- The freight company, which could be held at fault if errors in loading the truck led to the accident
- The truck’s manufacturer or part’s manufacturer, which could be held at fault for an accident caused by defects
How Is Fault Determined in an 18-Wheeler Accident?
Trucking industry regulations require drivers and companies to record a lot of detailed information. Your attorney will review all of this data following an 18-wheeler accident to determine how the crash occurred and who may have been at fault. In a truck accident case, we review evidence such as:
- The truck driver’s logs, which can show if a driver exceeded the legal limit on hours spent behind the wheel
- The truck driver’s toxicology report as the driver might be tested for alcohol and drugs following an accident that results in serious injury or death
- The truck driver’s employment history and driving record, which might show if the driver lacked the qualifications or experience to drive the truck or had a history of crashes
- The load manifest, which could show if the truck was carrying an unsafe load
- Inspection reports and maintenance records, which might reveal if a potentially catastrophic mechanical issue in the truck was overlooked or uncorrected
- Surveillance video, traffic cams, or in-cab camera footage, which might show the truck driver’s unsafe behaviors
- Electronic data recorder, a device that could provide information about how the truck was operated, including GPS position, speed, operating hours, braking, and acceleration
What Compensation Can Be Recovered After a Semi-Truck Crash in Riverview?
After a semi-truck accident, you might be entitled to compensation for the losses you experienced or will incur in the future as a result of your injuries. Compensation can cover expenses and losses such as:
- Costs of medical treatment and rehabilitation of injuries
- Long-term care for disabilities caused by injuries
- Lost income due to missed work during recovery
- Lost earning potential
- Reduced quality of life
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress and trauma
If you lost a loved one in a truck accident, you may be entitled to pursue compensation through a wrongful death claim. To learn how our firm can help you during this difficult time, please contact us for a free review of your case.
How Long Do You Have to File a Claim After a Truck Accident in Riverview?
Florida’s statute of limitations on truck accident claims typically requires that a personal injury lawsuit be filed within four years of the date of the accident. If the statute of limitations expires before you file a lawsuit, the court could permanently dismiss your claim. That means you could lose the right to seek compensation for the injuries and losses you suffered.
Do not put off getting the legal advice you need after a truck accident. An experienced Riverview truck accident lawyer can work quickly to preserve evidence in your case and document the full extent of your losses.
Trusted Truck Accident Attorneys Serving Crash Victims in Riverview and Surrounding Areas
If you were the victim of a truck accident, turn to Personal Injury Attorneys McQuaid & Douglas for a free, no-obligation case review. You can speak to a knowledgeable truck accident attorney about your legal options for holding those at fault accountable. A claim could provide you with compensation and a measure of justice for your injuries.
Our attorneys help accident victims throughout the entire Tampa Bay area, including Riverview, Apollo Beach, Sun City Center, and Brandon. We do not charge any fees for our services unless we recover money for you.